Gana Koota an Important Factor in Hindu Marriage Match Making

Gana koota is an important factor in Hindu marriage match making system. You might have seen that parents or elders go to astrologer to match the kundlis of the boy and girl who are about to get marry.

The kundlis of both the boy and girl are matched by an astrologer to find out the common qualities in them. Astrologers consider Gana koota, one of the Ashtkootas while assessing gunas (favourable points) in the kundlis of the boy and girl.

According to Vedic astrology there are 3 types of Ganas. These are Devata, Manushya and Rakshash Gana. These 3 types of Gana represent the human gunas namely Satva, Rajoguna and Tamoguna. Astrology says that the gunas give people different characteristics.

In this article we will discuss how an astrologer determines Gana of a person. Vedic astrology says that a person’s birth nakshatra determines his or her Gana. In this chart you can find out the Gana of a person born in a nakshatra.

Now let’s see the matching Ganas. According to astrology it is excellent if both bride and groom has the same Gana. In this situation there will be a loving and compatible relationship between the couple. A marriage is considered fair if one of the couple is a Devgana and the other is Manushya Gana. Astrology says that normally marriage can be fixed between Dev and Manushya Gana. But Rakshash Gana is an inauspicious Gana for these 2 Ganas. It is not considered a good match if a Rakshasa gana person marries a Deva or Manushya gana person. For the Raskhasa gana, marriage should preferably be with the person of the same gana.

One important think to note is that the Gana is not the only factor when matching for marriage. A host of other factors are considered and overall compatibility depends on the amalgamation of all these factors. So even if the Ganas do not match, the marriage will still be considered favorable if other factors match and the overall compatibility score is high.

Here we will see how Gunank is obtained from Gana Koota.

• If the bride and groom both are Dev Gana then the Gunank is 6.
  • If the groom and bride have Manushya Gana then the Gunank will be 6.
  • If Rashash Gana is the gana of the bride and the groom then also the Gunank is 6.
  • The Gunank will be 5 if the combination of groom and bride are Dev and Manushya Gana.
  • The Gunank will be 5 if the combination of bride and groom are Dev and Manushya Gana.
  • If the groom and bride have Manushya and Rakshash Gana respectively then the Gunank is 1.
  • If the groom and bride have Rakshash and Manushya then also the Gunank will be 1.
  • If the groom is Dev and the bride is Manushya Gana then the Gunank is 0.
  • If the groom is Rakshash and the bride is Dev Gana then also the Gunank will be 0.

Astrology says that Gana Dosha is not inflicted in the following situations,

• If the lord of the signs of the bride and groom are mutual friends.
  • If both have the same lord of the sign.
  • If the couple’s lord of navamsha are friends, and
  • Same navamsha.
Article Categories: Vedic Astrology

1. Geetha.J said on Sep 21, 2010 10:30 AM
    Thanks a lot for the brief explanation of gana koota.I want more help from your website,Thank you.
  2. DIVYA RAHEJA said on Feb 18, 2011 08:24 PM
    hiiii I want to know about gana dosha..My kundli coming rakshaa n boy coming dev .so Is there any remedy. Total score is 21.5.Will this result in gud compatibility.
  3. monika said on Feb 22, 2011 12:58 PM
    hollo. mera gana rakshash hai or mere husband ka manushaya koi remedy bataye
  4. nayna said on Aug 17, 2011 11:55 PM
    please tell me if thr is any remedy for gana dosh...my gana is manushya and my husband's is rakshash. i am very unhappy in my marriage please help..
  5. sandeep said on Oct 07, 2011 03:31 PM
    Hello, my kundli has Dev gana,and girl Kundli has Rakshas gana. is there any chance of compatibility, since total score is coming out 27. can you pls reply on this
  6. ParmitaDeogharia said on Nov 09, 2011 01:16 AM
    Will it possible to be happy after marriage if groom is manushya gana and bride is raksha gana????
  7. susmita chatterjee said on Nov 10, 2011 11:36 PM
    i want to know my rashi and gan as per my date of birth.mr dob is 6-12-1986
  8. ritika babbar said on Dec 07, 2011 01:35 PM
    boy was rakshas gan and girl was also rakshas gan what to o
  9. suparna nandi said on Feb 12, 2012 11:54 AM
    i want to know my gan and rashi my d.o.b is 6th october 1985 time is 9.23 pm
  10. Shreya said on Mar 06, 2012 03:34 PM
    Hi Sir My kundli has Dev gana,and girl Kundli has Rakshas gana. Is there any chance of compatibility, since total score is coming out 28.5? can you please suggest on this??
  11. tim said on Apr 03, 2012 10:50 AM
    nice article on gana koota. I see many requests for more information on how to adjust for an imbalance in gana koota when a high score is present BUT no more explanation from your side. can you kindly give that. Thank you, Dr tim
  12. sow said on Apr 12, 2012 10:01 AM
    Hi, I fall to a category of rakshasa gana and the boy belongs to manushya gana but our overall score is 25, let me know if it is ok.
  13. rishika kapoor said on May 04, 2012 05:30 PM
    Hi, Sir,my gana is dev gana and the boy gana is rakshas gana,and my total guna is matched are 21.so is this the gud compatibilty,because ue both love to eachother very much.and we want to get marry with each other.so plz tell me the remedy for which i canmake my relationship very strong.
  14. Deepak said on May 14, 2012 02:43 PM
    Boy: DoB: 22/07/1982, 2:04 am, Delhi Girl: DoB: 01/07/1982, 4:30 am, Sonipat
  15. swetha said on May 22, 2012 01:34 PM
    i want to know the gana koota of me and fiance by the names my name is swetha and my guy name is venkatesh and also that if me marry it is good or not.
  16. Amit said on May 29, 2012 09:20 PM
    Hi my dob is 2 june 1984 and my birth time is 6:45pm at lucknow kindly tell me wat is my guna
  17. madhurima acharya said on Jul 18, 2012 04:33 PM
    my gan is manusye & my lover ki gan is rakhkhas,my rashi is cancer(karkat),my lover ki rashi is aries(mesha),our matchmaking marks is 23.5 and when each point are discuss,there was that boy & girl both come under rakhkhas gan.i want to know that is this discussion is right??? plzzzz tell me i am very depressed
  18. madhurima acharya said on Jul 24, 2012 02:47 PM
    in kundali,i am rakhkhas gan & my lover is manusya gan...my lover ki rashi is aries,my rashi is cancer.......i want to know that in this case .is gan dosh can be nullified or rejected????
  19. nandita said on Aug 03, 2012 04:17 PM
    girl dob is 8 10 1989 and boy dob is 6 5 1989 tell mm how much guna do they get
  20. Mittal Patel said on Aug 09, 2012 11:25 AM
    Bride have raksasha gan and groom have dev gana and results is 30 gun marriage is possible
  21. Sabita said on Aug 23, 2012 02:00 PM
    i want to know my rashi and gana according to my date of birth 22/03/81.Can i marry a manushya gana person?
  22. raghavender reddy said on Sep 07, 2012 11:56 AM
    i want to know know my gana, my date of birth is 13 april 1980
  23. dimple singh said on Sep 22, 2012 07:30 PM
    iam rakshas gana and my boyfrnd manushya gana thn wat can be done....
  24. Arpita Kala said on Oct 16, 2012 03:11 PM
    I want to know my gana.DOB-09-11-1986,TIME-1720,PLACE-HALDIA TOWNSHIP.
  25. goutam said on Oct 28, 2012 06:22 PM
  26. Ananya Basu said on Oct 28, 2012 09:42 PM
    my date of birth is 17-1-1990 birth time 12-40 noon what is my gana?
  27. vikas said on Nov 01, 2012 02:03 PM
    dimple u will be ok with ur bf..but ur bf wont be much relaxd Ananya u can mail for more infor Naturaleffect@ymail.com
  28. ghanadevi said on Nov 30, 2012 06:38 PM
    I belongs to manushya gana. Shall i marry rakshas gana boy?
  29. subir mazumder said on Dec 24, 2012 01:25 PM
    my date of birth is 02nd may 1971 & birth time at near about 5.00pm. what is my gana ?
  30. AMAN GARG said on Dec 30, 2012 02:07 PM
    my gan is manushya and girl's gan is rakshash and my nakshatra is rohini and that of girl is dhanishta. kindly advise that if the gan dosh has been cancelled or not.
  31. sabana said on Mar 18, 2013 04:28 PM
    my date of birth is 16-2-1984 birth time 2-25 day, my gana is rakshas and my partners gana is manushya, is it possible to marry?
  32. Anubhav Mukherjee said on Mar 27, 2013 08:28 AM
    hi. my rasi is leo and my gf rasi is meesha. and my gan is rakshas but her gan is manusha. am mangalic but she non mangalic. i love her so much what can i do now! my d. o. b is 11/04/1995 and birth time 12:59 pm her d. o. b is 4/02/1995 and birth time 9:17 am. please help us we are very depressed for our relationships... :'(
  33. NILRATAN SARKAR said on Mar 30, 2013 09:03 AM
    i love a girl and she is very simple but it arises that i belong to rakshagan and the girl belong to devgon.the girl details is name -- MOUSHIMI SARKAR date of birth -- 26-08-88 time 7.15 am rashi - mokor logno-- tula gon-- devgon place silchar
  34. mohanreddy said on Apr 08, 2013 01:11 PM
    my nameis mohan reddy date of birth 15.10.1990 time 12.30 pm check my ganam & rashi
  35. shampi deb said on Apr 15, 2013 11:33 PM
    my rashi is tauras and my boy frnd rashi is aries but his gan is manusha and mine is rakshas.My d.o.b is 6.5.1989 and his 6.4.1981. Plz help us we are very depressed...............
  36. NIRUPAMA said on Apr 19, 2013 05:38 PM
    my date of birth-7-12-1987 time-4.44pm ,my gana is manushya and my partners gana is rakshas, is it possible to marry?
  37. payel nag said on Apr 21, 2013 10:16 PM
    My gana is rakchasa and my husband's gan is manusha,tell me how to make my marriage strong and happy
  38. Bijan Saha said on May 26, 2013 12:59 AM
    mera ganhe devgan or mera gf ka naragan is it a gud match
  39. PIYA BANERJEE said on May 27, 2013 03:50 PM
    Hello,Thank you for your information.I have rakshas gana with Aquarious sign but my would be has Manushya gana with Pisces sign.I want to know is it good match? will you please help me by giving this information.
  40. savin said on Jun 10, 2013 10:18 PM
    Will it possible to be a happy marriage if groom is dev gana and bride is raksha gana???? . The total score is 21.
  41. pratibha said on Jul 17, 2013 04:52 PM
    best comment
  42. sarswathivenkatesh@gemil.co said on Aug 10, 2013 11:42 AM
    uma meshwaridate of bitth23.11.1988 time 9.25PM & yeshvanthkumardate of birth 10.2.1985 time5.am ganakuta maching
  43. Sandeep.C said on Aug 17, 2013 03:05 PM
    plz suggest me , bride name is pratima DOB 30.april.1988,time 8.30am, and groom name is sandeep , DOB 27.aug.1984 ,time 5.03pm. will this kundli match and after marriage how it will be
  44. RANJIT KUMAR MONDAL said on Sep 26, 2013 02:06 PM
    My Daughter Name Pooja Mondal. D.O.B. 11TH OCTOBER,1986 TIME 2030HRS, PLACE, :- JUHU/ANDHERI-WEST/ MUMBAI CONTACT NO:-9869607492. FIND HER GON
  45. nidhi said on Sep 29, 2013 02:13 PM
    my gana is rakshas and my boy gana is manushya, is it possible to marry?if v marry toh wil it affects boys health or boy wil die eary?
  46. nidhi said on Sep 29, 2013 02:20 PM
    my gana is rakshas and boys gana is manushya, is it possible to marry?if v marry toh wil it affct boys health or wil he die soon?the total score is 22.5...plz rplly soon
  47. mita biswas said on Nov 28, 2013 08:07 PM
    If boy rakshsas and girl nara guna..and points is 23.5..it is possible for marriage??plz reply as soon as possile
  48. anindita said on Dec 16, 2013 09:03 PM
    do manav gan belong to rakash gan??
  49. shreya said on Dec 22, 2013 01:13 AM
    in above chart the points for devta girl and rakshsa boy is given as 1. which should be 0 as per the explanation given below the chart. same for manushya girl and rakshs boy 0 is given which should be 1.
  50. nitin said on Dec 23, 2013 10:12 PM
    hi i am boy and my gun is dev and my girl is rakshas gan . our total matching gun are 30. can marrige be possible or not
  51. nagaraj said on Dec 25, 2013 07:09 PM
    Girls guna is Rakshasa and the boys guna is Deva The total score in cimpatibility is 21.5 out of 36 Can we go ahead
  52. Shrikant said on Jan 18, 2014 04:39 AM
    mera dev gan he or mere gf ka rakshas gan to kya hamari shadi ho sakti he
  53. tiku said on Jan 20, 2014 12:11 PM
  54. aparna said on Feb 04, 2014 12:59 AM
    Me raksha ganna and my boy is manusya ganna can v both marry
  55. Ankitha said on Feb 07, 2014 11:38 AM
    Hi Sir, Please help here , we both are loving each other but as per astrology our match is not preferable. please check & advise . DOB girls : 23-01-1990 (06:45 AM) DOB Boys:04-06-1988 (04:00 AM)
  56. roy said on Feb 10, 2014 05:51 PM
    My time of birth is doubtful and it is causing problem as Gana is coming as Rakshas. What time in April 2,1985 shifts my Gana from Rakshas to either Dev or Manushya
  57. justin said on Feb 15, 2014 01:14 AM
    Im loving a girl she is deva ganam n im rakshsha ganam ...can v get married
  58. piu said on Feb 22, 2014 02:27 AM
    my date of birth 23/12/1990(03:45 AM) plase tell me what is my gana???? please tell me as soon as possible.it is urgent
  59. shalini said on Feb 22, 2014 10:49 AM
    I love a guy who is debari gon and i am debo gon..can we marry! Please say how our relationship would be and the problems
  60. anu said on Mar 10, 2014 03:35 AM
    Sir my parents matched my kundali and 35/36 score was there. But some people are saying that it is not the right match because above 30 is considered as brother and sister.. Is it convenient to get married? Please help me ,the details are: Boy (time/ birth date/ place/gotra) 08:30pm /17 august 1985/ bikaner rajasthan/ mittal Girl ( time/ birth date/ place/gotra) 02:45am/ 19july 1988 / lucknow uttar pradesh/ kaushalya) please confirm ...its urgent thank you
  61. Sandhya said on Mar 13, 2014 02:39 AM
    DearSir,we have fixed our daughter Nupur's marriage .earlier she was happy . From last 3-4 days she is confused.n not happy.please tell me what to do to make her happy.As every thing is fixed we can not break.Her birth details-name Nupur,13.09.1988/8.20 am/rourkela Odisha.Boys details-Rohit/29.12.1983/10.41 am/Patna Bihar.please reply soon.Thanks
  62. Leelashwini said on Mar 17, 2014 12:16 AM
    I need to knw about my marrige when i ill get married . Plzz do suggest me
  63. pallavi sharan said on Mar 24, 2014 10:09 AM
    my name is PALLAVI SHARAN and BOY NAME IS-DHEERAJ YADAV MY dob is 06-june-1991 and boy dob is- 01-JANUARY-1992....... MY BIRTH OF TIME IS 05:55AM...... bt boy ka birth of time nahi h to kya ap y bta sakte h hmari sadi ho sakti h.......hm dono sadi krna chah rhe hai bt boy ka time of birth na hone se kundli kase match kre....kya sirf name and birthday s kundli match ho sakti h agr aisa ho sakta h to kya hm dono ki sadi k liye match h........kya hmari sadi ho payegi plz reply sir........
  64. Sripan sarkar said on Apr 13, 2014 01:11 AM
    Mera manushya gan aur meri girlfriend rakshas gan to kya hum dono ko koi bara samasya ho sakti hai in future mein
  65. barun kumar ballav said on Apr 20, 2014 03:30 AM
    What rectifications required when boy is Rakhhas gan and girl is nara gon?
  66. Deepa said on Apr 24, 2014 09:54 AM
    we are married. My husband's gana is Raksha and mine is Manushya gana. I am facing too much problem. kindly be give some remidies
  67. jyotshna said on May 25, 2014 11:50 AM
    mera gana rakyas aur ladke ka dev he.so whether we can marry without matching the gana.plse tell me d solution
  68. Preeti Chetri said on Jun 20, 2014 10:28 AM
    What rectifications required when boy is Rakhhas gan and girl is manushya gon? Please reply and advice urgently as I need your help. Kindly reply in my mail id.
  69. Preeti Chetri said on Jun 20, 2014 10:28 AM
  70. r dave said on Jul 10, 2014 11:54 PM
    My guna is 26.5/36 bet' me & my girl friend. My gana is Devta & hers is Rakshas. Is it a good match? Any remedy? My Birhday Dec. 6 1981 & her is Oct. 1989 Please reply earliest at my e mail. Thank you.
  71. vinita said on Jul 17, 2014 07:17 AM
    hi i am girl and my gun is mnushya and boy is rakshas gan . our total matching gun are 23.5. can marrige be possible or not
  72. divya dave said on Jul 28, 2014 02:16 AM
    Hello.. i am a girl of rakshas gana and my friends gana is manushya.overall kundali match score is 25.5. but as per panditji marriage is difficult due to my gana. please confirm is marriage between rakshas and manushya gana is possible or not. thanku
  73. preethi said on Aug 13, 2014 12:35 AM