Gana koota is an important factor in Hindu marriage match making system. You might have seen that parents or elders go to astrologer to match the kundlis of the boy and girl who are about to get marry.
The kundlis of both the boy and girl are matched by an astrologer to find out the common qualities in them. Astrologers consider Gana koota, one of the Ashtkootas while assessing gunas (favourable points) in the kundlis of the boy and girl.
According to Vedic astrology there are 3 types of Ganas. These are Devata, Manushya and Rakshash Gana. These 3 types of Gana represent the human gunas namely Satva, Rajoguna and Tamoguna. Astrology says that the gunas give people different characteristics.
In this article we will discuss how an astrologer determines Gana of a person. Vedic astrology says that a person’s birth nakshatra determines his or her Gana. In this chart you can find out the Gana of a person born in a nakshatra.
Now let’s see the matching Ganas. According to astrology it is excellent if both bride and groom has the same Gana. In this situation there will be a loving and compatible relationship between the couple. A marriage is considered fair if one of the couple is a Devgana and the other is Manushya Gana. Astrology says that normally marriage can be fixed between Dev and Manushya Gana. But Rakshash Gana is an inauspicious Gana for these 2 Ganas. It is not considered a good match if a Rakshasa gana person marries a Deva or Manushya gana person. For the Raskhasa gana, marriage should preferably be with the person of the same gana.
One important think to note is that the Gana is not the only factor when matching for marriage. A host of other factors are considered and overall compatibility depends on the amalgamation of all these factors. So even if the Ganas do not match, the marriage will still be considered favorable if other factors match and the overall compatibility score is high.
Here we will see how Gunank is obtained from Gana Koota.
- If the bride and groom both are Dev Gana then the Gunank is 6.
- If the groom and bride have Manushya Gana then the Gunank will be 6.
- If Rashash Gana is the gana of the bride and the groom then also the Gunank is 6.
- The Gunank will be 5 if the combination of groom and bride are Dev and Manushya Gana.
- The Gunank will be 5 if the combination of bride and groom are Dev and Manushya Gana.
- If the groom and bride have Manushya and Rakshash Gana respectively then the Gunank is 1.
- If the groom and bride have Rakshash and Manushya then also the Gunank will be 1.
- If the groom is Dev and the bride is Manushya Gana then the Gunank is 0.
- If the groom is Rakshash and the bride is Dev Gana then also the Gunank will be 0.
Astrology says that Gana Dosha is not inflicted in the following situations,
- If the lord of the signs of the bride and groom are mutual friends.
- If both have the same lord of the sign.
- If the couple’s lord of navamsha are friends, and
- Same navamsha.