The Ekadasi of Bhadrapad Krishna Paksha is called as Aja or Kamika Ekadashi. Lord Vishnu is worshipped on this Ekadashi. Aja Ekadasi will be observed on 13th August 2012. By performing Jagran and observing fast, a person gets rid of all sorts of sins. The fruits of this Ekadashi have been considered auspicious everywhere, on earth or heaven. Observing Aja Ekadashi give the fruits similar to donating 100 cows. And, the person observing fast gets happiness and fame in his life.
Aja Ekadashi Fast Method
The Ekadasi of Bhadrapad Krishna Paksha is called as Aja Ekadasi. Person observing this fast need to pay attention on many things for the Vrat of Dashmi Tithi (a day before Ekadashi). This day person need to sacrifice the following items. :-
- Person should not have meat on the Dashmi Tihti
- He should avoid eating Masoor Dal on the night on Dashmi Tithi, as it reduces the auspiciousness in results of Ekadashi.
- Grams should not be eaten.
- Karonda should not be taken in the meal.
- Having leafy vegetables shall also decrease the good fruits of fast.
- Honey should not be taken on this day.
- One should not have food borrowed from others, on the day of fast and a night before.
- On the day of fast, you should have food only once.
- On the day of fast and on the Dashmi Tithi, Brahmacharya should be followed.
- Person should not go for gambling on the day of fast.
- Person should not sleep in the day time, during this fast or any other fast.
- No betel leaves should be eaten on Dashmi Tithi
- You should not use Datun (brush of tree twig), nor cut any tree.
- Person should avoid condemning about others.
- Person should not speak any lie.
In order to observe the fast of Aja Ekadashi, a person should follow the above given things and wake up early in the morning of Aja Ekadashi. After completing the routine work he should clean the house. Then he should take bath using Til, mud and Kush. After bathing etc, he should worship Lord Vishnu.
To perform the Puja of Lord Vishnu, cereals are placed at a clean place. An urn is placed on the cereals. The urn is decorated with a red cloth and worshiped. Now, on the urn a picture or idol of Lord Vishnu is placed. Before the idol, the resolution of fast is observed. Keeping fast without the resolution, does not give the full results of Vrat. After taking the resolution, Lord Vishnu is worshipped with incense sticks, lamps and flowers.
Aja Ekadashi Fast Story
In ancient time, there ruled a Chakravarti Raja. His name was Harishchandra. He was a very brave, majestic and glorious ruler. To complete his promise he had sold his wife and son. He himself had become a servant of a cruel person.
There he used to give shroud. But, in this difficult work also he did not leave the path of truth. After many years, he started feeling bad about his work and became upset. Then he started reaching some way to get free from this work and always used to stay tensed with this thought.
Once, while he was wondering about what to do, he was Gautam Rishi coming. King bowed to him and narrated his sad story infront of Rishi. Rishi felt upset on listening and seeing the condition of king and said him “Hey king, in the Krishna Paksha of Bhado, Aja Ekadashi occurs. You should observe the fast of this Ekadasi in a systematic manner and perform the Jagran at night. You will get rid of all your sins.” Saying this Gautam Rishi went from there.
On the day of Aja Ekadashi, king observed the fast and performed Jagran, as told by Rishi. By the effect of this fast, all sins of the king were destroyed. At that time, flowers started showering from the sky. King saw Lord Brahma, Vishnu, Indra and Shiva, standing before him. He was his dead son alive and his wife in good clothes and jewellery.
By the effect of fasting he got back his kingdom. After death, he reached heaven with his family. All this was the result of observing the fast of Aja Ekadashi. Person who observes this fast in a systematic manner and perform the Jagran at night , gets rid of his sins. And, he gets place in heaven after death. Just hearing the story of fast gives the result as of Ashvamedha Yagya.
To know about your Saturn's Sadesati please click on that link: Saturn's Sadesati